Thursday, November 28, 2013

I'm not a muppet I'm a......mop?

Imagine you have graduated from College with a Bachelor's Degree in Teacher Education. You are now a teacher, trying to handle a group of rumbuctious kindergarteners. You start dating a wonderful man and fall in love. You get married and continue to work, until one day you find out that you are expecting. You decide to quite work and focus on being a stay at home mom. Your fellow faculty members begin asking you why you are just going to "throw" away your degree to instead begin a mind-numbing job of taking care of kids 24/7. What do you propose? Is taking care of children and a home a "mindnumbing" occupation?
This is what I have found, and what I believe. We read two articles this week on the subject, and these are my insights. The two articles can be found at the bottom of the page if anyone else is interested. :)

Mind for a mop: This article was very well written! I am glad that someone took a stand and let those who are criticizing the role of homemaker and mother know what really goes on within the walls of our own home. During this article, when the author pointed out that women may even get more intellectual stimulation from being in the home than in the workplace, it reminded me of both my mom and aunt. They are some of the smartest people I know, and I am able to go to them about advice all the time about such topics as motherhood, teaching children in both a school and home setting, cooking, and especially spiritual matters, which are most important.
Education: In the second article, I found myself agreeing wholeheartedly to everything that was said. With a college education, I feel like wives and mothers are able to be an even greater influence on their children, and help them to become what Heavenly Father wants them to be. It not only gives children a better appreciation for education, it helps them to become more functioning members of society. I loved the way the author talked about how children whose mothers teach them have stronger health, language skills, and socio-emotional skills as well.
Personal: I know that I will be a very different mother because of the things I am learning, and applying. I am very grateful that I have had the opportunity to pursue an education without trying to juggle a family at the same time. I feel like I am better preparing myself so that I can be the best that I can be for my future children. I personally am really excited to raise a family and help them to become members of society who see the good in people, and help them to succeed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment